RENAISSANCE JEWEL AMONG AUSTRIA'S CASTLES
Tratzberg Castle was first mentioned in the 13th century and served as a former border fortress against Bavaria. Back then, Emperor Maximilian used Tratzberg as a hunting lodge, but the original fortified castle was completely destroyed in a fire in 1492.
The emperor did not rebuild Tratzberg but exchanged the ruins for a castle owned by the rich silver mine owner Tänzel. In 1500 they built the first late Gothic part of today’s Tratzberg Castle in an unusually splendid, lavish manner and had it furnished with extraordinarily artistically designed marble, wood and iron work.
In 1554 the wealthy Augsburg merchant Georg Ritter von Ilsung acquired the castle and expanded and changed Tratzberg, shaped by the spirit of the Renaissance.
By inheritance, Tratzberg became the property of the well-known and wealthy merchant family of the Fuggers, who further equipped the castle. The splendidly painted inner courtyard and most of the inventory that is still preserved today, as well as exquisite Renaissance rooms, date from this period.
After several changes of ownership, a time followed in which Tratzberg remained uninhabited for almost 150 years. When Franz Count Enzenberg married Count Ottilie Tannenberg, the now almost neglected castle passed into the possession of Count Enzenberg in 1847, whose private residence it has remained to this day.
To this day it is only thanks to the great commitment of the family that the approx. 6,800 sqm Tratzberg, with its 5000 sqm shingle roof, has once again become the epitome of a Tyrolean castle from the 16th century and thus one of the most important art and cultural monuments of the country and is open to the general public for viewing.